NeonMob is Closing (Updated 2/21/2023)

UPDATE FEBRUARY 21, 2023

We have momentarily paused our shutdown plans to explore new opportunities that may allow NeonMob to remain online. In the meantime, NeonMobsters will be able to access the website, iOS app, and Android app until further notice. New series releases will resume shortly and collectors can still spend banked credits on available credit packs to support their favorite indie artists, but options to purchase new credits or subscription packages will remain disabled. We’ll provide updates as warranted, but for now … time for more collecting!

UPDATE JANUARY 30, 2023

NeonMobsters,

NeonMob launched in 2012 as what we believe was the world’s first digital collectibles platform. This was a time before digital baseball cards, before NFTs, and before many forms of digital collectibles that emerged in subsequent years. Our position was that art and collecting should be fun. NeonMob was to be a place to have random, whimsical fun, to cherish digital art, and to obsess over an ever-growing digital collection. For digital artists, it afforded an opportunity to grow a fanbase of collectors from across the globe. NeonMob was to be an online version of the world many of us grew up with before the digital revolution, where a pack of cards, a comic book, or a penny on the sidewalk might be that next big find that brought your collection to the next level. In that, we succeeded. Take a look at some of our stats from over the years:

300,000+ collectors
13,000+ artists
15,000+ series
170,000+ original cards
175,000,000+ prints in collections

In many ways we feel we’ve accomplished our goals, but despite our achievements we have made the difficult decision to shut down NeonMob. As time went on the cost of maintaining the platform increased rapidly and our ability to meet those expenses didn’t keep up pace. Changes in advertising costs, shifting forces towards NFTs, and other pressures made this decision difficult but the right one. We are sad that this day has come but we remain proud of our work and grateful for the friends we’ve made along the way including the people behind the scenes who built NeonMob and our many colorful collectors and creators.

We are sorry to disappoint all of you who continue to contribute to NeonMob as active collectors or creators. It is not for lack of passion – yours or ours – that we are closing shop.

The NeonMob Team

—--------------

Please refer to these questions and answers for details on the weeks ahead.

When is NeonMob shutting down?

Our last day online will be Tuesday February 28 @ 12PM PST. From that day on, you won’t be able to log in or access your collection anymore. Until then, we will do our best to support you as we work towards a smooth shutdown.

What about my collection?

Unfortunately, your collection on NeonMob (along with the rest of NeonMob) will go away once the site goes offline. You are welcome to download each card in your collection by going to the card detail page and clicking “Save As” and saving to your desktop. Please note this will not retain any metadata associated with your card such as your print number. Unfortunately, due to technical restrictions we cannot offer an easy way to download all the images in your collection at once (many collections would be 100s of MBs or even GBs of data). Please note that creators retain the copyright to their art and any art pulled from your NeonMob collection is for personal use only.

Can I still spend money? What about credits I purchased recently?

Effective immediately, all spending features on NeonMob (purchasing credits and subscriptions) have been shut off. We are doing this to minimize any feelings of frustration about paying for items that will go away in short order. Any credits you have already purchased can be spent as normal on credit packs to continue supporting your favorite indie artists. Credit packs for pro series releases will remain available until Tuesday February 14 @ 12PM PST and creators will still receive royalty payments from these sales.

After February 14, 2023, any remaining unused credits purchased after January 1, 2023, can be refunded via PayPal. If you would like a refund of your unused credits, please email your NeonMob user information and your PayPal email address after February 14, 2023, for a final payout for your unused credits: support@neonmob.com. Credits purchased prior to January 1, 2023, are not eligible for a refund but can still be used on credit pack purchases while available to support your favorite indie creators. Credits used on the platform at any time will not be reimbursed.

What about my Pro subscription?

All recurring Pro subscription payments have been cancelled. If you have a yearly subscription, you will be reimbursed for the unused portion of your subscription automatically with a refund sent to the original payment method (i.e. PayPal or credit card). Monthly subscriptions purchased in January will not be refunded. Pro subscription benefits will be available to users for the timeframe purchased.

If you are a subscriber through either iOS or Android, please cancel the subscription payment on your end through your mobile device to ensure you are no longer charged for services.

When can I cash out my final royalty payment as a creator?

Credit pack sales for all series end on Tuesday February 14 @ 12PM PST; final royalty totals will be available approximately 24 hours after this time. Artists with outstanding royalties will have until the platform closes on Tuesday February 28 @ 12PM PST to request a payout through PayPal utilizing the existing system. After the platform closes, creators with outstanding royalties will have until March 31, 2023 to contact NeonMob with PayPal payment information to receive their final royalty payment: support@neonmob.com. After March 31, 2023, all remaining outstanding royalties will be forfeit.

2 Likes

Does anyone know of any platforms like NeonMob that allow creators to submit directly like this site did? I am sad to see NeonMob go-- I was just getting back into collecting after being away from the site for years.

3 Likes

Very said news indeed. :frowning: :sob:

2 Likes

Sorry to see it go! Best of luck on whatever endeavors come next for the NeonMob team. So long, 1400+ day streak. So long, cards… :frowning:

2 Likes

So sad! :sob:
Really enjoyed be a part of this great community. :pleading_face:
My best wishes to the team new proyects :heart:

2 Likes

I wish I had the cash available to donate and save NeonMob

6 Likes

965 days ago i found out about this site, and since then everyday i have logged in and opened packs.

all kind of series, from portraits to landscapes, from kittens to monsters.

it has been a beautifull jurney, and i will naturally keep opening packs until the 28th.

sadly i will not be able to download all the cards, it would be a full time job just to go through all of them.

i hope that neonmob will be able to come back to life in the future.

happy last month to everyone.

3 Likes

Thank you for your amazing work. I 've been looking for sites like this one many times, and no one is so special.
But I don’t believe that this will be a end forever.
See you around.

2 Likes

I am truly devastated I have been here since 2016 and have enjoyed this collector so much more than any other I am heartbroken but I do understand the cost it takes to run such a site so to all the staff and artists and collectors it has been absolutely wonderful…safe journeys

4 Likes

Gosh I’m so heartbroken at the news.

4 Likes

A bit late, but regardless…this sucks. I’ve been collecting for a while and have discovered many incredible artists. And to see all those cards and artwork go to waste is heartwrenching. I’ll most likely save some of my favorite cards and follow some of the artists I’ve discovered. I wish the best of luck to the staff behind the site, and I’ll miss this dearly.

2 Likes

Awwww, I’ve have built a Very nice collection, I am saddened to see that I won’t be able to Collect on Neonmob It’s actually helped my mental wellness and my
helped with keeping my mind focused And the art as well as the friends I have received over the last 5 yrs have been nothing less than amazing, Thank you All of you at and on Neonmob I will surely miss the fun and the friends
If y’all decide to return back online or in App I would love to rejoin, Thank you again
Tim P.
Bethany Oklahoma

2 Likes

Same here😔

Truly sad news indeed. Thank you and best wishes to all. NeonMob and the community will be missed.

1 Like

Neonmob has been a place we all enjoyed, collecting cards for fun and seeing the many artists who created such art.
Ive made a few packs in the past myself, and over the years i saw i could do better.
Which is when “Neonmob Plants Redux” came to life. And thanks to the help of the team, I had art that i felt proud about, even if its just a bunch of moving pixels.

But, its upsetting to see the site go, i wish those on the team the best of luck. And maybe one day, we will see the site come to life once again.

UPDATE FEBRUARY 21, 2023

We have momentarily paused our shutdown plans to explore new opportunities that may allow NeonMob to remain online. In the meantime, NeonMobsters will be able to access the website, iOS app, and Android app until further notice. New series releases will resume shortly and collectors can still spend banked credits on available credit packs to support their favorite indie artists, but options to purchase new credits or subscription packages will remain disabled. We’ll provide updates as warranted, but for now … time for more collecting!

3 Likes

Congratulations on finding a way to stay afloat, this news honestly made my day. Looking forwards to hearing what’s next for neonmob, this community and site is one of the best places around.

1 Like

This is only a postponement of the closing procedures and not an indication that the platform is continuing indefinitely. If we have any updates on this status we will be sure to make an announcement. - Joe @ NeonMob

I can’t login from my smartphone anymore, my account is bound to my FB profile and says the app is inactive :pleading_face: .