Suggestions for Creators

(Astroasis) #1

I’m going to start this out by stating: I’m not a creator. I’m not an artist at all. I’m an art appreciator - someone who loves looking at and admiring art and finding new artists to love and spreading that love to others. With that in mind, I’d like to offer an art lover’s perspective on some dos and don’ts for NeonMob creators who are looking to get the most out of their NeonMob submissions and sets.

Submissions

• Come up with a unique, personal idea for your first set. You might have a ton of ideas for sets, you might be planning some great things and thinking, “I’ll start out small.” But the world is a fickle place and you might decide that creating sets on NeonMob isn’t for you (hopefully not, but you should be prepared for this possibility). Make sure your first set will serve you well even if it turns out to be your ONLY set. Ideally, your set should serve as a solid sample of the artwork you create and would want to be known for. A great example of this is Rasterstache’s Rasterstache Bots. He could have made a set of robot sketches, or maybe pixelart of his robots - but he made a solid set that illustrates exactly what he does, which is making robots. If Rasterstache makes future sets, he can expand on his skills and interests - but his first (and thus far only) set serves as a perfect advertisement for his art.

• Provide a clear, finished sample of the set you hope to make. Collectors will assume you are showing them an example of a print from your proposed set, so if your submission is a rough sketch, they will expect your set to also be made of similarly rough sketches. Likewise, if your submission looks like a polished, finished piece, collectors will expect more of the same in your finished set. Don’t hastily submit an unfinished concept, or overshoot what you’re realistically able to provide by submitting something greater than what you plan on making.

• Give your submission a clear description. Don’t be vague or use poetry/lyrics here. Use the space to describe the set you intend to make and the kinds of prints collectors could expect to see from you. NeonMobsters may withhold their “like” if they don’t know what you’re actually planning for your set - or, worse yet, get the idea YOU don’t know what you’re planning. It doesn’t have to be an essay, either. “I’d like to make a set of paintings of fruit” is fine, or “This set would be 10 of my best artworks from 2015” or even “I plan on exploring the concept of ghosts in several different mediums”. Remember, you’re trying to sell your idea here. “Life is a never-ending stream” doesn’t tell us anything about your set. “A set exploring the idea of life being represented as an endless stream” makes it clear that this is the purpose of your set, and not just a poetic phrase you used because it sounded cool.

• DON’T USE SOMEONE ELSE’S ART. Seriously. I hate that this even needs to be said, but anyone who’s ever checked out the “Newest” tab of the Submissions knows it needs to be. Using someone else’s art is plagiarism and it’s just plain crappy to do. You’ll get found out - either by someone reporting it, or NeonMob’s excellent staff figuring you out - and your submission will be deleted. Don’t bother with it, guys. Seriously. Unless you have personally created the artwork, it doesn’t belong on NeonMob. There are other sites out there for sharing pictures you’ve found and liked (Pinterest, Imgur, etc). This is not one of them.

Being a Creator

• Immediately upon receiving a Creator Profile, fill out the bio and add links to your art accounts! I can’t overstate this enough. NeonMob is a great site, yes, but it is not intended to be a personal portfolio for all of your work. Other sites are intended for this purpose - and you want to use NeonMob to direct interested parties to those sites as soon as you’re able to. THIS is how a set on NeonMob increases your visibility and gains you new followers and (hopefully) patrons. There is absolutely nothing worse than seeing a great set or a pending submission, going to the artist’s Creator Profile… and seeing nothing there. I want to see more of your art! Help me do so!

• Use an appropriate, unique name to identify yourself. If art is only a hobby to you, then it doesn’t matter much what you call yourself. However, if you ever hope to be a professional artist, you should “brand” yourself with an identifiable, unique name ASAP - and stick with it. Ideally, this name would be your actual given name, as it makes you appear more professional and generally stays the same, but for young artists or those seeking a degree of separation between their online and offline lives, a pseudonym or username can suffice. Still, make sure it’s professional sounding. Names like BunnyFooFoo82 or RainbowDashRulz sound unprofessional and juvenile - and you will end up changing them to something better eventually. Which brings me to why it’s such a bad idea to change your professional name: People who like your art are going to share it. They’re going to mention it to friends, they’re going to link to it, they’re going to pin it on Pinterest and blog it on Tumblr. Responsible fans of your art will also make sure to credit you properly, with your professional name and links to you and your work. When you change your name, you render all of those links and all of that credit obsolete. Some sites, like deviantArt, will redirect your links, but many others won’t. Also, any digital copies of your art with watermarks featuring the old name are still going to be out there - and they’re going to STAY out there. It’s impossible to “take back” something once it’s on the Internet. So they’ll continue doing the rounds on the 'web, advertising who you USED to be and not who you ARE. So pick a name, a good name that will stand the test of time, and stick with it.

• Snazz up the joint. This one’s not necessary, but it’s a good idea. Make yourself a nice banner and an avatar. You always want to present yourself as best you can - and these things can help you look more professional. For some examples of great profile art, check out Gabriel Palacios’s really professional and eye-catching banner and Reyna Pelcastre’s self-portrait avatar. Snazzy!

Your Set’s Been Released!

• Advertise it! Post about it on Twitter. Upload a print to deviantArt as a sample from the set. Naturally, make sure your posts link to NeonMob. Ask people to come to NeonMob and collect your set to show support for you and your art! This helps you, and it helps NeonMob. Win-Win, right? Of course!

• Consider posting free packs. Even though I’m a HUGE fan of free packs and would love it if everyone posted them everywhere all the time, I worded this as “consider” because I acknowledge that it may not always be in your best interests. If there’s only 3 cards in your set, giving out 3 free packs of cards might mean people finish your set entirely in one quick go (it’s happened to me before), meaning your set is both begun and ended (and forgotten!) by the collector in the span of about two minutes. That’s no good. However, for almost all other kinds of sets, free packs are a great way to treat your fans to a prize - and also get NeonMobsters more interested in your set. Several of the sets I’ve collected were sets I had no interest in until I opened a few free packs and was pleasantly surprised by what I found inside. So where and when should you post the link? You can post it on your Creator Profile if you want, but that isn’t going to entice NeonMobsters to visit your other social media accounts. Instead, post it on your Facebook or in a Tweet. Or both. Maybe place a note on your NeonMob profile stating that there’s some free packs out there on one (or more) of your social media accounts, if people want to look for them. Ideally, free packs should help you gain page views on your social accounts, and maybe even additional followers. Which brings me to the next point…

• Post some interesting stuff on your other social media sites just after the release of your set. Regardless of whether you mention free packs on your profile or not, some NeonMobsters are going to check out your pages anyway. They might do this just to see more of your art, or to see if you have posted freebies. Regardless, you have a small window to entice people who might otherwise never have seen your art to see more of your art. Take advantage of it! Don’t flood your feed with a million things, of course, but do post a new project or piece that you’re proud of and would like people to see. I check out every creators’ sites. Sometimes I see what looks like abandoned accounts - and other times, I see interesting, engaging art that grabs my eye even more than their NeonMob set did. This also presents another plus to posting free packs. Ruben Alexander is one creator who combines free packs and timely, eye-grabbing posts to good effect. He almost always posts free packs somewhere, so I make a point of visiting his accounts whenever he makes a new set - and whenever I go, I generally see links and posts pertaining to his other recent works and projects. As a result, I’m probably more up to date on what Ruben’s up to in the art world than I am some of my own friends :wink:

…and that’s all I have for you!

Hopefully, these suggestions help new creators out a bit, and maybe even give seasoned creators a few things to think about. Again, I’m not an artist. I can’t help you with art suggestions or advice, but as an avid art appreciator (devourer, practically lol), I can help you make the most out of your NeonMob submissions and help you use them to bring art lovers like myself to your door.

Good luck out there and keep on making great NeonMob sets!

(A Catris) #2

This is amazingly helpful, thank you. I have just joined and am getting to know the lay of the land and this post has been immensely helpful.

(Astroasis) #3

I’m so glad it helped you out! :smile:

(Whitney Ricketts) #4

This is fantastic feedback, and I’ve shared it in our NeonMob creators Facebook group!

(Astroasis) #5

Thanks Whitney! I hope it helps out some creators there, too! :smiley:

(Dorothee Rudolph) #6

This post contains great advice and is really helpful, especially for people like me, who haven’t submitted a pro series concept yet. Thank you for putting this together! I’ve linked this forum thread to another new creator some days ago. :slight_smile: