Hey! Morrissey Alexander New Artist with a new submission!

(Morrisseyalexander) #1

New to the website and placed my first submission for voting please take a look if you feel so inclined to do so! Thanks!

Card Name is Invasion

Here is the artwork.

(Joe @ NeonMob) #2

I would suggest including the actual image in your post as well :slight_smile:

(Morrisseyalexander) #3

Very, very good point! Thanks for the feedback! I’m still a forum noob.

Here is what I’m thinking about for the card layout, I’m a huge fan of card games Mtg, Yugi Oh, Duel Masters, Pokemon, etc So I wanted to try to approach this with a playable mindset.

It’s preferred that the cards remain primarily art I will keep it that way! Thanks for viewing

(Qazyn) #4

Morrissey - looks good! Personally, I prefer to collect cards that focus on the artwork, as it would be difficult / time consuming to copy and paste them into a printable format to play the card game involved.

In this case, I’d love collecting a series based on the art, would probably skip the playing card version.

All that said, there’s no reason to prevent linking to a Print-and-Play or similar option for the full card game in the series description!

(Joe @ NeonMob) #5

Suggestion: Watch the punctuation and spacing on the actual card description … maybe think about bullet points to make the COMMAND easier to understand. Also, if this is strictly a sci-fi sim then remove the word SPELL as that doesn’t really speak to the genre.

(Morrisseyalexander) #6

Thanks for the feedback! @qazyn and @vagrantscout I can keep it art focused it was just an idea I was thinking about. Thanks for checking it out. Here goes an isolated shot of one of the ships for the set. I will end up doing some isolated shots of the large medium and small ships and since these ships are the invaders I will want to make some ships that are the defenders and then some shots of combat between the two parties but we will see.

(Joe @ NeonMob) #7

this is looking pretty awesome … i am such a geek for sci-fi constructs :stuck_out_tongue:

(Morrisseyalexander) #8

Yeah me too! I originally started doing sci fi work for my career (I work in Commercial art for games and ads and etc etc) but I ended up having a lot of fun doing it on the side. Works really well with the medium I use. Also thanks for accepting the submission looks like I got some work to do finishing out this set!

(Joe @ NeonMob) #9

The work reminds me of a great sci fi series by Nick Webb … the Legacy Fleet series … great reads, recommended for some inspiration :slight_smile:

(Quasarcat) #10

The one thing I have to say about that Invasion card is that it looks a bit too dark—dark image, dark card. I think if you found a way to make it sort of “pop”, it might stand out better. Like a holographic trim/border. Or maybe not, I dunno, I’m not an expert at card creating.

If you still want to do the trading card thing, maybe you could make the trading card versions all chase cards. Isn’t that what chase cards are all about, being part of the same series but also kind of like their own mini series? The Vincent and Alice set come to mind…

Then again, I really don’t know if my suggestion is any good because I don’t think you can influence how rare a chase card is. You’d end up with a series with as many chase cards as the core series and therefore difficult to complete. (This is where the variant category would have come in handy…)

So I guess you could do a few trading card versions as chase cards, but not every core series card. Either way, the art is pretty great. :wink: