Copyrighted Characters

(Yrya Chan) #1

Hello there!

Not sure if it something I should post here or not…?
So question/remark is about the rule applied to characters belonging to copyrighted franchises or companies.
I know Neonmob doesn’t allow fanart, as said in the faq; yet I have seen a Pro series containing copyrighted characters (of a famous japanese company)…

So does the NeonMob team check with the artist if they have acquired the rights to publish those cards?
Don’t get me wrong, the series in question is absolutely amazing and one of my favorites so far!
I’m sorry if my question sounds weird, but I was just wondering, as an artist myself.

Yrya-chan

(Thetoonwizard) #2

Hello! You’re question isn’t weird at all, so don’t worry about that! As for the series in question that included copyrighted characters, when did the series become originally in print? Only asking this because of the fact that Neonmob originally had slightly different rules regarding copyrighted material!

In regards to the question that you asked, I believe that the NeonMob team checks in with the artist and that’s where the decision of whether a Pro Series should be disqualified or not is made, whether through a submission’s comments or via other methods.
Hopefully this has helped you out a bit!

(Yrya Chan) #3

Thank you for your reply! And yes it helps clarify a few things :slight_smile:

The series was released recently, last month I believe.

(Spooningbards) #4

Are you talking about the YOI card?

(Yrya Chan) #5

Ah no actually! Is there really a YOI card…?
The cards I’m talking about have Ghibli characters.

(Spooningbards) #6

There are all sort of cards with Ghibli characters on neonmob - but yes, there is!

(Joe @ NeonMob) #7

Can you email me the specific series in question please? We do our best to review series for copyright infringement but sometimes things slip through … personally, I am not familiar with Ghibli characters.

Send the information to support@neonmob.com and I will check it out.

Thanks!

Joe @ NeonMob

(Yrya Chan) #8

Email sent!

(Ana Lisa) #9

can you tell what is the name of the serie?

(Yrya Chan) #10

The series in question is called Beautiful Wishes II.

(Ana Lisa) #11

ahh! thank you. I’m coleting, but did not know that was a Ghibli character.

(Yrya Chan) #12

Not all the cards are Ghibli, just 4 or 5 of them. There is also a Sailor Moon one.

(Joe @ NeonMob) #13

We determined that these images did not infringe upon copyright as the style and characterization was so far off from the inspired characters that the images constituted original creations and concepts. Although we do our very best to identify and verify originality in all submitted art, determining copyright violations is sometimes difficult and there are a lot of gray areas. We really do appreciate when collectors bring these kinds of things to our attention and to be our eyes on characters or franchises with which we are not familiar. If you have any more questions, I will do my best to answer. Thanks! - Joe @ NeonMob